IRCBot represents a large family of backdoors - remote access tools used by hackers.
Once detected, the F-Secure security product will automatically disinfect the suspect file by either deleting it or renaming it.
More scanning & removal options
More information on scanning or removal options is available in the documentation for your F-Secure security product on the Downloads section of our Home - Global site.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more information.
These tools allow for the control of a victim's computer remotely by sending specific commands via IRC channels. Also, these backdoors can steal data and spread to computers vulnerable to exploits.
The backdoor's file is a PE executable about 1.3 megabytes long, packed with Themida file compressor.
When the backdoor's file is started, it copies itself as a file named winupdate.exe to the Windows System folder and then creates the following startup key value in the Registry:
- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] "winupdate" = "winupdate.exe"
When the backdoor is active, it connects to an IRC server, joins a certain channel, and acts as a bot there.
The following IRC server and ports is used by the backdoor:
The backdoor joins the following password-protected IRC channel:
A hacker can send commands to the bots to control infected computers. Several tasks can be performed, including the following:
- Start FTP server
- Perform ping, SYN, ICMP and UDP flooding
- Get system information including OS, network and drives
- Update the backdoor's software
- Operate the backdoor's bot (nick change, join channels et cetera)
- Redirect traffic (proxy)
- Steal CD keys for popular games
- Download and execute files
- Log keystrokes
- Scan and exploit computers vulnerable to exploits
When spreading, the bot can exploit the following vulnerabilities:
- Weak Windows share passwords
- Weak VNC passwords port 5900
- ASN.1 (MS04-007) ports 80, 139, 445
- WKSSVC (MS03-049) port 135
- Symantec Antivirus and Client Security vulnerability ports 2967, 2968