A remote administration utility which bypasses normal security mechanisms to secretly control a program, computer or network.
Allow F-Secure Anti-Virus to disinfect the relevant files.
For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions .
For general instructions on disinfecting a local network infection, please see Eliminating A Local Network Outbreak.
Caution: Manual disinfection is a risky process; it is recommended only for advanced users.
Manual disinfection for SdBot.MB requires renaming of an infected file named SNDCFG16.EXE located in Windows System folder and restarting a system. Please note that the backdoor's file has read-only, system and hidden attributes, so Windows Explorer has to be configured to show such files.
Backdoor:W32/SDBot.MB allows a remote attacker to control the infected machine by sending specific commands via IRC channels.
This backdoor steals registration codes of popular games and can work as a keylogger. It can also steal data, spread to local network and to computers vulnerable to exploits.
This SDBot variant was first found on May 12th, 2004 in Finland.
The backdoor's file is a PE executable about 93 kilobytes long, packed with Yoda and PECompact file compressors. When the backdoor's file is started, it copies itself as SNDCFG16.EXE to Windows System folder, and sets hidden, system and read-only attributes for itself.
The backdoor creates a number of registry keys. It will also monitor the registry for changes and recreate these keys if they are deleted or modified.
SDBot.MB kills the processes of security and anti-virus software and also processes of certain malware (for example Bagle). Processes with the following names are killed:
The backdoor can scan for vulnerable computers using different types of exploits and tries to locate other backdoors installed on remote hosts. Here's the list of scanner capabilities:
- WebDav (port 80)
- NetBios (port 139)
- NTPass (port 445)
- DCom (ports 135, 1025)
- DCom2 (port 135)
- MSSQL (port 1433)
- LSASS (port 445)
- UPNP (port 5000)
- Optix backdoor (port 3140)
- Bagle backdoor (port 2745)
- Kuang backdoor (port 17300)
- Mydoom backdoor (port 3127)
- NetDevil backdoor (port 903)
- SubSeven backdoor (port 27347)
- DameWare remote management software (port 6129)
The backdoor starts IDENTD server on port 113. A hacker can control the backdoor via a bot that it creates in a certain IRC channel. Backdoor capabilities are the following:
- start HTTP server on an infected computer
- start FTP server on an infected computer
- scan for vulnerable computers (open ports and exploits)
- make use of exploits and spread to remote computers
- start/stop keylogger
- get system information including information about OS, network and drives
- operate backdoor's bot (nick change, dcc send/receive, join/part channels, etc.)
- perform DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack, SYN, ICMP, UDP flood
- find, download and run files
- search for passwords
- start/stop remote services
- create/delete remote shares
- flush DNS cache
- ping any host
- list, start and kill processes
- sniff network traffic
- start remote command shell
- capture video from a webcam
- capture a screenshot
- redirect traffic on certain ports
- perform portscan
- send e-mails (work as an e-mail proxy)
- open a URL with default web browser
SDBot.MB steals CD keys for the following games if they are installed on an infected computer:
- Counter-Strike (Retail)
- The Gladiators
- Gunman Chronicles
- Industry Giant 2
- Legends of Might and Magic
- Soldiers Of Anarchy
- Unreal Tournament 2003
- Unreal Tournament 2004
- IGI 2: Covert Strike
- Freedom Force
- Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 1942 (Road To Rome)
- Battlefield 1942 (Secret Weapons of WWII)
- Battlefield Vietnam
- Black and White
- Command and Conquer: Generals (Zero Hour)
- James Bond 007: Nightfire
- Command and Conquer: Generals
- Global Operations
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead
- Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
- Need For Speed: Underground
- Shogun: Total War: Warlord Edition
- FIFA 2002
- FIFA 2003
- NHL 2002
- NHL 2003
- Nascar Racing 2002
- Nascar Racing 2003
- Rainbow Six III RavenShield
- Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2
- Hidden & Dangerous 2
- Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix
- Neverwinter Nights
- Neverwinter Nights (Shadows of Undrentide)
- Neverwinter Nights (Hordes of the Underdark)
Also the backdoor steals the Microsoft Windows Product ID.