Dishonest antivirus software which tricks users into buying or installing it, usually by infecting a user's computer, or by pretending the computer is infected.
Depending on the settings of your F-Secure security product, it will either automatically delete, quarantine or rename the suspect file, or ask you for a desired action.
More scanning & removal options
More information on the scanning and removal options available in your F-Secure product can be found in the Help Center.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more information.
This is the family description for the Rogue:W32/IEDefender family of rogue anti-malware programs.Variants in the IEDefender family are suspect anti-malware programs that generate fake or exaggerated scan results, in an attempt to trick users to purchase their products.
IEDefender variants are commonly installed or downloaded by trojans. Their installation usually starts by launching an installer like the one shown below:
It will then create these files :
- %desktop%IE Defender 2.4.lnk
- %start menu%\IE Defender 2.4.lnk
- %program files%IE Defender
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.db1
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.db2
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.db3
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.db4
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.db5
- %program files%IE Defender\iedefender.exe
- %program files%IE Defender\Uninstall.exe
When launched, the rogueware scan the system, displaying screens as below. Note the various product names used: IE Defender Scan & Clean, Scan & Clean, AntiSpy Pro Scan & Clean. These are known variants of this rogueware family. Once the scan is complete, the program shows fake or exaggerated scan results, in order to pressure the user to buy the product.