This type of worm is embedded in an e-mail attachment, and spreads using the infected computer's e-mailing networks.
Once detected, the F-Secure security product will automatically disinfect the suspect file by either deleting it or renaming it.
More information on scanning and removal options available in your F-Secure product can be found in the Help Center.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more information.
Email-Worm:W32/Vote.D is written in Visual Basic and propagates by sending itself to all recipients found in Outlook Address Book of an infected machine.
The worm disguises itself as pictures of the 2001 September 11 terrorist attacks and appears to be trying to remind and/or frighten users with the tragedy.
The e-mail messages sent by Vote.D have the following characteristics:
- Subject: WORLD TRADE CENTER PICTURES
- Body: Remember The Times.......MAYBE THEY WILL BE BACK....!!!
- Attachment: WTC32.scr
Where the To: filed is the recipient's name.
The attachment is always named WTC32.scr. and is a PE executable file 61440 bytes long.
When a user runs the infected attachment, the worm copies itself to system with the following names:
Since the path "c:\Windows\" is hard-coded, Vote.D won't work if Windows is installed in a folder different from "c:\windows". After copying its files to a hard disk the worm creates a startup key for one of its files in the Registry:
- [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\W32Tc] @ = "c:\Windows\WTC32.scr"
Vote.D can also create a lot of copies of itself with randomly-generated names in c:\Windows\Systm32\BkUp folder.
Once installed, the worm changes the startup page of Internet Explorer to point to the worm's file "c:\Windows\WTC32.scr". After performing its mass-mailing routine, the worm displays one or more message boxes with different messages, for example:
- WORLD TRADE CENTER
- WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THOSE LOST SOULS...
Some of these messages are very insulting and contain bad language. The worm changes the Registered Owner and Registered Organization settings of Windows to:
- YOU ARE A VICTIM OF THE
- WORLD TRADE CENTER
And changes the Product Name setting of Windows to:
The worm can play the "GUESS A NUMBER" game with a user of an infected computer. It asks:
- "GUESS A NUMBER From 1 to 50"
and waits for the answer. If the answer is right, the worm displays "Alright!", otherwise it displays "Sorry !".
The worm's payload also includes dangerous routines. These are:
- Deleting all DLL files in C:\Windows\System32\ folder.
- Locating files with the following extensions - wav .mp3 .jpg .bmp .zip .rar .doc - and writing itself with the name of those files and an additional .exe extension. The original files are deleted.
- Overwriting all .exe and .scr files with its body.