W97M/Brenda is a simple Word 97 class infector. This virus makes lots of changes in the registry of the infected system.
The changes are:
Once detected, the F-Secure security product will automatically disinfect the suspect file by either deleting it or renaming it.
Detailed instructions for F-Secure security products are available in the documentation found in the Downloads section of our Home - Global site.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for further assistance.
- Name of "My Computer" is replaced with "Little Miss Nick"
- If the machine has WinZip it is registered to "Nick FitzGerald the queen"
- The game "Hearts" is renamed to "NicKKK"
- A new user account is added with the name of Asexual
- Label of drive C: is changed to "n0nuts"
Nick Fitzgerald used to be the editor of the Virus Bulletin magazine.
He has nothing to do with the virus.
Technical Details:Katrin Tocheva & Miika Lehikoinen, F-Secure