A remote administration utility which bypasses normal security mechanisms to secretly control a program, computer or network.
Depending on the settings of your F-Secure security product, it will either automatically delete, quarantine or rename the suspect file, or ask you for a desired action.
More scanning & removal options
More information on the scanning and removal options available in your F-Secure product can be found in the Help Center.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more information.
Backdoor:W32/SdBot.CNG is a backdoor program that can be controlled by an attacker through an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel. The program itself is usually sized around 28 to 55 kB.
SdBot.CNG is propagated through multiple vectors:
- Removable media such as USB thumb drives
- Instant Messaging (IM) networks (e.g., AIM, MSN, ICQ and Triton)
- Network shares
- Peer-to-Peer (P2P) networks (e.g., Edonkey2000, Morpheus, KAZAA, LimeWire, BearShare and Grokster) via the application's shared folders
During installation, SdBot.CNG creates a copy of itself in one of these folders:
While active, the backdoor has the following functionalities:
- Perform SYN Floods
- Perform Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks
- View MSN, AIM and Triton threads
- Propagate via AIM, MSN and Triton
- Download files
- Update itself
- Steal passwords from Protected Storage
- View and create processes
- Visit user defined websites
- Perform shell executions
SdBot.CNG is also able to detect applications or services such as VMware, Nepenthes, sandboxes and honeypots.
The backdoor program creates on of the following Registry keys in order to automatically execute the copy of itself saved in the Windows directory:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VMwareService = "VMwareService.exe"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\VMwareService = "VMwareService.exe"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSpoolSvc = "csrsc.exe"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentSet001\Services\WinSpoolSvc = "csrsc.exe"
It also creates the following Autorun.inf to facilitate its propagation on removal media such as USB thumb drives:
- [autorun] open = RECYCLER\S-1-6-21-2434476501-1644491937-600003330-1213\autorunme.exe icon=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,4 action=Open folder to view files
- [autorun] open = RECYCLER\S-1-6-21-2434476501-1644491937-600003330-1213\autorunme.exe icon=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,4 action=Open folder to view files shell\open=Open shell\open\command=RECYCLER\S-1-6-21-2434476501-1644491937-600003330-1213\autorunme.exe shell\open\default=1