Worm:W32/Downadup.gen is a Generic Detection of Worm:W32/Downadup.
Allow F-Secure Anti-Virus to disinfect the relevant files.
Downadup makes use of random extension names in order to avoid detection. During disinfection, Scanning Options should be set to:
- Scan all files
For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions.
Some variants of the Downadup worm attempt to block execution of F-Secure malware removal tools. If the downloaded tool does not work, please rename the file. Example: from "f-downadup.exe" to "file.exe" or "explorer.exe". Then try running the tool again.
Specific tool with heuristics for Downadup worm variants:
This is a command line tool. Please read the text file included in the ZIP for additional details.
Microsoft Help and Support
Knowledge Base Article 962007 provides numerous details for manual disinfection of Conficker.B (alias Downadup):
For technical details of Downadup's installation and propagation mechanisms, see the following descriptions:
Downadup uses a variety of methods and vectors to spread itself:
- Exploits a Windows vulnerability; patched by security update 958644 (read our Vulnerability Report, SA32326: Microsoft Windows Server Service Vulnerability).
- Use of network shares; weak passwords.
- It uses Windows AutoRun functionality; autorun.inf files are copied to USB drives and other removable media.
Certain Downadup variants have additional rooutines:
- Worm:W32/Downaduprun.A (Uses an autorun.inf file)
- Worm:W32/Downadupjob.gen (creates a Task Scheduler Object)
About Generic Detections
Unlike more traditional detections (also known as signatures or single-file detections) a Generic Detection does not identify a unique or individual malicious program. Instead, a Generic Detection looks for broadly applicable code or behavior characteristics that indicate a file as potentially malicious, so that a single Generic Detection can efficiently identify dozens, or even hundreds of malware.
For more information about Generic Detections, see the Generic Detection description.