Trojan:W32/Reveton is a ransomware application. It fraudulently claims to be from a legitimate law enforcement authority and prevents users from accessing their infected machine, demanding that a 'fine' must be paid to restore normal access.
Manual Removal Instructions (Updated)
Caution: Manual disinfection is a risky process; it is recommended only foradvanced users. Otherwise, please seek professional technical assistance.
- Boot the system into Safe Mode. To do so:
- First, restart the system (ClickStart, then Shut Down, select Restartin the drop-down dialog box that appears, then clickOK).
- As the computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight 'Safe Mode' and then press Enter.Image 1 and 2: Enter 'Safe Mode'.
- In Safe Mode, find the file ctfmon.lnk in the Startup folder (C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Program\Startup\ctfmon.lnk) and delete it. Image 3: Find and delete ctfmon.lnk from the Startup folder (click image to enlarge).
- Reboot the system again, this time into Normal mode.
- Finally, run a full computer scan with F-Secure Anti-Virus. to repair any remaining files
For more information, see Removing 'Police-themed' Ransomware.
For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions.
Trojan:W32/Reveton is a variant in a family of ransomware applications that have been targeting European users in the last few weeks.
After the trojan successfully infects a machine, it will prevent the user from accessing the Desktop and will display a fraudulent message alleging that the system was locked by a local law enforcement authority; the specific authority mentioned varies depending on the affected user's location, though most of the samples we have seen mainly mentioned various European authorities.
The general activities of this malware, including screenshots showing the warning messages displayed by the trojan, can be seen in our Labs Weblog post discussing this topic:
Upon execution, it will create the following file:
- On Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\[reveton_filename].dll.lnk
- On Windows 7: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\[reveton_filename]dll.lnk