If Skulls.S is installed only the calling from the phone and answering calls works. All functions which need some system application, such as SMS and MMS messaging, web browsing and camera no longer function.
Disinfection with two Series 60 phones
1. Install F-Skulls.sis into infected phones memory card with a clean phone
2. Put the memory card with F-Skulls into infected phone
3. Start up the infected phone, the application menu should work now
4. Go to application manager and uninstall the SIS file in which you installed the Skulls.S
5. Download and install F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus to remove any Cabirs dropped by the Skulls.S
or with mobile itself
6. Remove the F-Skulls with application manager as the phone is now cleaned
Symbian operating system has a feature which causes any file that is in C: drive replace file in ROM drive with identical name and location.
Spreading inLiveupdate wireless.sis
PayloadReplaces built in applications with non-functional ones and installs Cabir.F worm.
Generic detection that detects Skulls.S was published for F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus on December 13th, 2004 in database build number 15.
Write-up:Jarno Niemela November 10th, 2005;