This detection identifies a malicious rogueware program, typically used to deceive users into purchasing a fake application.
Disinfection & Removal
- - Boot into safe mode.
- - Locate and delete the files below:
- Reboot and run "Full System Scan" with F-Secure Antivirus to make sure the system is clean. For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions.
This malware may also be detected by generic detections using the following naming format:
Where [####] can be any number.
On execution, the malware hijacks the desktop and displays the wallpaper below:
It then displays a fake scanner program (System Tool) that displays bogus virus/trojan/spyware detections.
These actions are done to frighten the user into buying the fake application.
The malware also prevents execution of any other application. This disables applications like command prompt, regedit, Task Manager (including the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Del), etc.
During installation, the malware adds the following files:
- %appdata%\[random]\[random].exe - (malware executable)
- %appdata%\[random]\[random] - (Data file)
Launchpoint registry :
- HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce [random] = %appdata%\[random]\[random].exe