MGDropper is a malicious SIS file dropper, that disables most well known third party file managers and Anti-Virus software and installs Cabir.G worm on the phone.
Disinfection with two Series 60 phones
For full disinfection of MGDropper you need help of another Series 60 phone that is not infected with the trojan, and clean memory card on that phone.
Download F-Skulls tool from ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/f-skulls.zip or directly with phone http://www.europe.f-secure.com/tools/f-skulls.sis
- 1. Install F-Skulls.sis into clean phones memory card with a clean phone
- 2. Put the memory card with F-Skulls into infected phone
- 3. Start up the infected phone, the application menu should work now
- 4. Go to application manager and uninstall the SIS file in which you installed the skulls variant
- 5. Download and install F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus to remove any Cabirs dropped by the Skulls variant
- http://www.europe.f-secure.com/estore/avmobile.shtml or with mobile itself http://mobile.f-secure.com
- 6. Install EFilemanager file manager application on your phone from http://www.psiloc.com
- 7. Insert the infected memory card into the phone and remove following files:
The Cabir.G is started automatically when the MGDropper is installed and will start spreading. When Cabir.G spreads from MGDropper infected phone, the SIS files it sends will contain only the Cabir.G not MGDropper. However the MGDropper also installs the Cabir.G into different directory as SEXXXY.SIS, which also disables phone menu application.
MGDropper tries to disable F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus by replacing it's files with non-functional versions. However as F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus is capable of detecting Cabir.G contained by MGDropper using generic detection. The Anti-Virus will detect the infected SIS file and prevent it from being installed. Provided that the Anti-Virus is in realtime scan mode as it is by default.
The Cabir.G worm dropped by MGDropper is already detected with generic detection as Cabir.Gen. So the MGDropper is already detected and stopped without need for updated Anti-Virus database.
Installation to system
When installed MGDropper will replace most common third party file managers, Anti-Virus programs and application installer with non-functional versions.
Spreading in: Metal_gear.sis
Disables following applications
- Simworks Anti-Virus
- F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus
- Application installer
- File manager
- Smart file manager
- System Explorer
Generic detection that detects MGDropper was published for F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus
on December 13th, 2004 in
Detection Type: Mobile
Database: database build number 15
Description Created: Jarno Niemela December 21st, 2004
Description Last Modified: Jarno Niemela June 15th, 2005