VanBot.BR is a family of IRC bot-based backdoors that can be commanded to copy itself to remote computers with the help of known exploits.
Allow F-Secure Anti-Virus to disinfect the relevant files.
For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions.
VanBot.BR is a family of IRC bot-based backdoors that can be commanded to copy itself to remote computers with the help of known exploits. When it arrives on an infected computer it copies itself to the Windows System folder with the name of runapidll.exe and creates several startup strings in the Registry:
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Microsoft Dll = runapidll.exe
- HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices Microsoft Dll = runapidll.exe
It creates the following mutex while running and active in memory:
Once active, the backdoor connects to IRC servers and joins a particular IRC channel to listen for remote commands from the attacker.As common with IRC-based bots, VanBot.BR can do any of the following:
- Create remote command shell
- Delete files
- Download and run files
- Gather infected system information
- Join and part IRC channels, change nicks, change server
- List and terminate processes including security related software products
- Log keystrokes
- Monitor and sniff network traffic
- Open a mail proxy, http and tftp server for file transfers
- Perform DDOS and send ICMP and SYN packets
- Report bot uptime to a hacker
- Save a screen and webcam image capture
- Scan for vulnerable computers and try to get access to IPC$ and ADMIN$ shares by performing a dictionary attack then spread to them
- Send current IP address to a hacker
- Steal user credentials and PC games private keys
- Visit a remote website