Kenilfe is a malicious AutoCAD program that propagates via removable drives. It also attempts to download Visual Basic Scripts from remote servers, if certain conditions are met.
Once detected, the F-Secure security product will automatically disinfect the suspect file by either deleting it or renaming it.
More information on scanning and removal options available in your F-Secure product can be found in the Help Center.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more information.
During installation, the malware creates the following registry entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KenFiles\settings TMN = %Random Name% or "Temp" TMNL = %Random Name% or "TMNL" SHXN = %Random Name% or "isoshfr" CXBB = 102 GXBZ = 103 pth0 = %IP Address of updatebd.8800.org% (or "221223921023103" if cannot ping the host) pth3 = %Current Date% pth4 = %Current Date% pth5 = %Current Date% basepth = %User Support Folder% fontpth = %AutoCAD Fonts Folder%
It then creates copies of itself in the following locations:
- %Folder of Current Drawing%\acad.fas
- %User Support Folder%\acad.fas
- %AutoCAD Fonts Folder%\%SHXN%.shx
Where%SHXN% is the same as the SHXN value found in the registry entry (above).
It also creates the following files:
- %Windows Folder%\DivX.fin - possibly some sort of a infection marker
- %Windows Folder%\system32\%TMN%.cmd - contains commands that will create copies of the malware (same as those mentioned earlier)
Where%TMN% is also the same as the TMN value found in the registry entry.
It enables the Windows Scripting Host by creating the following registry entry:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings Enabled = 1
Then deletes the registry key:
It also deletes the following files:
Once installed, Kenilfe downloads and executes Visual Basic Scripts based on the following conditons:
- https://www.cadgs.com/[...]/gxcx.[...] - if the 3rd octect of the IP address of updatebd.8800.org > 102
- https://www.cadgs.com/[...]/gxmz.[...] - if the 4th octect of the IP address of updatebd.8800.org > 103
Example: if the IP address of updatebd.8800.org is 220.127.116.11, both Visual Basic Scripts will be downloaded and executed.
These conditions are specified in the CXBB and GXBZ registry, respectively.
The malware enumerates all folders in all removable drives. If it finds the file acad.fas, it replaces the file with a copy of
- %AutoCAD Fonts Folder%\isomianyi.shx.
Alternatively, if the folder contains a drawing (.dwg) file, it will create the file acad.fas (which is really a copy of isomianyi.shx).
It then creates a file named pagefile in the same drive location, to mark that it is done infected the drive.
During the enumeration process, the malware also renames the following files to append a "_bak" in their filenames:
Description Created: 2009-07-08 11:59:43.0
Description Last Modified: 2015-01-19 09:50