A type of worm that spreads over vulnerable Peer-to-Peer (P2P) networks.
Once detected, the F-Secure security product will automatically disinfect the suspect file by either deleting it or renaming it.
Detailed instructions for F-Secure security products are available in the documentation found in the Downloads section of our Home - Global site.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for further assistance.
P2P-Worm:W32/Nugg uses the file-sharing application LimeWire to download malware onto the system. It may also use other file-sharing applications to perform the downloads.
During installation, the program drops a file with a name created using the following formula:
- systemdir\[random dll filename]+ "32.dll"
The program then opens the following services and disables them:
- wscsvc - the Security Center
- SharedAccess - Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS)
It will also load the DLLs into the following processes, provided the processes are running:
While active, the worm attempts to connect to the following domains:
If successfully connected, it will download an XML file. This file contains URLs leading to files that the worm downloads whenever the system matches certain criteria. The downloaded files are encrypted, though the encryption keys are included in the XML file. The files are malicious and include:
- https://220.127.116.11/data/[...] - Detected as Trojan.Win32.Agent2.crv
- https://18.104.22.168/thn/[...] - Detected as Trojan-Downloader.WMA.GetCodec.s
If LimeWire is installed on the infected system, it will be used to download the Trojan.Win32.Agent2.crv file. Other file-sharing applications may also perform this function.
During installation, the program creates the following registry key:
- SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\["C:\ drive volume info" + "random number"] value = Dllname data = the dropped file
- value = Startup data = EventStartup
It also modifies the following registry key as the launchpoint
- SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows value = AppInit_Dlls data = the dropped file