Fontal.I is a SIS file trojan that installs corrupted Font file into infected device, thus causing the device to fail at next reboot. Fontal.I also tries to disable Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Symbian, currently it is still unverified whether this attempt is successful or not.
Fontal.I pretends to be Nokia Anti-Virus for Symbian devices, when installed the Fontal.I will show following installation text:
Nokia Anti-Virus keep your phone protected from mobile virus. Please restart your phone after installation complete to activate your anti-virus product. If you found any problem regarding this software, please call :
If a phone is infected with Fontal.I, it must not be rebooted as the trojan will prevent the phone from booting again. If the phone is rebooted, it will try to boot, but will be forever stuck on phone startup and cannot be used.
F-Secure Mobile Security will detect Fontal.I and delete the trojan components.
- Open web browser on the phone
- Go to http://mobile.f-secure.com
- Select link "Download F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus" and then select phone model
- Download the file and select open after download
- Install F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus
- Go to applications menu and start Anti-Virus
- Activate Anti-Virus and scan all files
More information on the scanning and removal options available in your F-Secure product can be found in the Help Center.
You may also refer to the Knowledge Base on the F-Secure Community site for more assistance.
After disinfecting the phone, remove the remaining empty directories by going to the Application Manager and uninstalling the SIS file in which Fontal.I arrived (Nokia Anti-Virus.sis)
Disinfection for the cases when phone is already rebooted and cannot start up
CAUTION! this method will remove all data on the device including calendar and phone numbers
- Power off the phone
- Hold following three buttons down "answer call" + "*" + "3"
- Keep holding the buttons and power on the phone
- Depending on the model, you either get text "formatting" or startup dialog that asks for initial phone settings
- Your phone is now fomatted and can be used again
When the Fontal.I SIS file is installed the installer copies files into following locations:
F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus for Symbian detects this malware starting from the Detection Type:Mobile
Database:update build number 35
Description Details: Mika Tolvanen November 29th, 2005
Description Last Modified: Mika Tolvanen, March 13, 2006