Please note that this disinfection method works only with phones on which the memory card can be changed without powering down the device.
Download F-Skulls tool (ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/f-skulls.zip) or directly with clean phone (http://www.europe.f-secure.com/tools/f-skulls.sis).
1. Install F-Skulls.sis into infected phones memory card with a clean phone
2. Put the memory card with F-Skulls into infected phone
3. The F-Skulls starts automatically and frees the menu button and application manager
4. Press menu button until you get Symbian process menu, look for any applications with heart icon. Kill the application processes with 'C' button
5. Go to application manager and uninstall the SIS file in which you installed the Fontal.C
6. Download F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus from http://phoneav.com and activate the Anti-Virus
7. Scan the phone and remove any remaining components of Fontal.C
8. Remove the F-Skulls with application manager as the phone is now cleaned
CAUTION This method will remove all data on the device, including calendar and phone numbers.
1. Power off the phone
2. Hold following three buttons down "answer call" + "*" + "3"
3. Keep holding the buttons and power on the phone
4. Depending on the model, you either get text formatting or startup dialog that asks for initial phone settings
5. Your phone is now formatted and can be used again
A False Positive is when a file is incorrectly detected as harmful, usually because its code or behavior resembles known harmful programs. A False Positive will usually be fixed in a subsequent database update without any action needed on your part. If you wish, you may also:
Check for the latest database updates
First check if your F-Secure security program is using the latest detection database updates, then try scanning the file again.
Submit a sample
After checking, if you still believe the file is incorrectly detected, you can submit a sample of it for re-analysis.
NOTE If the file was moved to quarantine, you need to collect the file from quarantine before you can submit it.
Exclude a file from further scanning
If you are certain that the file is safe and want to continue using it, you can exclude it from further scanning by the F-Secure security product.
Note You need administrative rights to change the settings.
Fontal.C also disables the application manager, application installer and messaging applications, which make its uninstallation more difficult.
If a phone is infected with Fontal.C, it must not be rebooted as the trojan will prevent the phone from booting again. If the phone is rebooted, it will try to boot, but will be forever stuck on phone startup and cannot be used without reformatting the phone.