A type of worm that spreads over Bluetooth networks.
If F-Secure's Mobile Security is installed on the mobile device, the following disinfection steps can be performed:
- Activate the Anti-Virus
- Scan the phone and remove any components of the malware
- Reboot the phone to remove memory-resident components
Downloading F-Secure Mobile Security directly onto a phone
Mobile Security can be downloaded directly to the mobile device:
- Open web browser on the phone
- Go to https://f-secure.mobi
- Select link "Download Mobile Security"
- Download the file and select open after download
- Install Mobile Security
When searching our Virus Descriptions database for a specific program (e.g., Bluetooth-Worm:W32/Example.A), you may be directed to this page if the overview below sufficiently describes the program.
Alternatively, you may be directed to this page if no description matching that specific query is currently available. You can submit a sample of the suspect file to our Response Lab for further analysis via:
A Bluetooth-worm is a type of worm that spreads primarily over a Bluetooth network. A Bluetooth-worm is almost always designed to function on mobile devices, particularly handphones, which make more use of Bluetooth connectivity than computers.
Due to the limitations of Bluetooth connectivity, a user must have their device's Bluetooth functionality switched on and set in discoverable mode to be reachable by a Bluetooth-worm; the user must also actively accept a transmission request from an infected device before the Bluetooth-Worm can successfully arrive on the new device.
A Bluetooth-worm may or may not include a malicious payload. Examples of malicious actions a Bluetooth-worm can perform are:
- Sending SMS or MMS messages
- Modifying files on the phone
- 'Locking' the phone so that it is inaccessible
- Damaging the phone's system files so that the device is completely unusable