Monitoring-Tool:SymbOS/Spyphone.A is the installer package for a program that runs on Symbian OS 9.x. Once installed, the program monitors the user's actions on the device. The information tracked may be forwarded to an external party. The program uses stealth techniques to hide its presence on the phone from detection by the user.
Depending on intent and legal jurisdiction, the use of this program may run contrary to applicable privacy laws. If the user is aware of the program's actions, they may elect to install and use the program.
The program has two complementary capabilities: Spy Phone and Interceptor. Spy Phone allows the user to call a targeted phone which has this software installed. The call results in the phone answering in 'Ghost Mode' - that is, the phone answers with zero ring, without lights, call notifications and log creation. No visual or physical changes can be noticed on the target phone.
Interceptor includes Spy Phone's capabilities, but also enables the user calling in to 'eavesdrop' on incoming or outgoing calls. In case there are no conversations taking place, the target phone allows the user to listen in to the surroundings.
Both Spy Phone and Interceptor also send an SMS to a pre-defined number as soon as an incoming or outgoing call is connected.
The program allows the user to manage it remotely. A personal secret code allows the user to manage the software from any phone. Remotely configuring the phone requires the user to send a special SMS directing the program to perform the following functions:
- Activate the program
- Deactivate the program
- Change the Secret code to manage the program
- Change the Pre-Defined Number
- Query for the Status of the software on the phone
The program has the following stealth features:
- No lights or visual changes can be seen on the device when a Room Monitor or Interception is performed.
- No Log creation for Incoming Room Monitor Call, Interception Call, Configuration SMS or Intercepted SMS.
- No Installation Logs for the software.
- Software cannot be traced inside the phone.
- Software silently starts up on phone boot or restart (if it is active).
- On arrival to the target phone, a remote Configuration SMS cannot be viewed in the Inbox; also, no on-screen visual changes are shown.