Master Boot Record (MBR) Repair
Infections in the Master Boot Record (MBR) are a tricky business, and may sometimes require a user to take additional steps to completely remove the infection.
- If you don't want to do anything about the hidden item, select "None" as the action
- If you don't want to be notified about the file in the future, select "Exclude" as the action
- If you are sure the item is not part of a normal program, you can rename it by selecting "Rename" as the action. This will prevent the hidden program from starting in the future. You should use the "Rename" action very carefully, because renaming important files may break the computer.
Submitting a sample of an infected MBR
- Boot into the Recovery Console.
- On Windows XP, run: fixmbr
- On Windows 7, run: bootrec
Note: For further information on use of the 'fixmbr' command, please refer to the relevant Microsoft documentation.