Trojan:Android/Plankton variants silently forward information about the device to a remote location. In addition, they download an additional file onto the device.
F-Secure's Mobile Security product blocks installation of this program with default settings.
Once installed on a device, Trojan:Android/Plankton will forward the following details (about the Plankton app itself) to a remote server:
- The permissions granted
- Device status
On receiving this information, the server contacted returns a URL, from which Plankton retrieves a JAR file.
In addition to collecting the details for the Plankton app, the trojan will also collect the following information:
- International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number
- Details of the device itself
- Operating system protocol version
These details are also forwarded to the remote server.
Plankton variants are also able to perform the following actions on the device, among others:
- Collect the browser history
- Collect or modify the browser's bookmarks
- Install a downloaded file