Sdbot.RPC.A is an IRC controlled backdoor which contains spreading routines exploiting the MS03-026 (also known as DCOM/RPC) vulnerability.
Disinfection & Removal
Allow F-Secure Anti-Virus to disinfect the relevant files.
For more general information on disinfection, please see Removal Instructions.
After entering the system Sdbot.RPC.A installs itself with the following steps:
- Copies the worm to the System Directory as 'winlogin.exe'
- Adds 'winlogin.exe' to the registry to the following value
- Drops the main DLL component to the System Directory as 'yuetyutr.dll'
- The DLL is loaded into the running explorer.exe process
- Modifies system.ini:
[Boot] Shell=explorer.exe winlogin.exe
- Adds several values to the registry:
The backdoor code is based on Sdbot. It connects to a predefined IRC server and joins a channel and waits for commands. Commands it supports provide full access to the compromised computer.
With one of the commands the backdoor can be instructed to scan for vulnerable hosts using the DCOM/RPC exploit. If a vulnerable host is found Sdbot.RPC.A infects the host.
More information on the DCOM/RPC (MS03-026) vulnerability is available at