Simple rules to avoid problems like this:
- Do NOT use AutoGet. Type /sreq ASK
- Do NOT accept files from people/sites you do not know and trust
- Never run an exe, or load a mIRC script, without knowing what it does
On execution of dmsetup.exe, the program will do the following:
1. COPY itself to four different directories on your hard drive
2. ADD "dmsetup" to the end of your AUTOEXEC.BAT (possibly past the
EOF). This will run dmsetup.exe whenever you start your computer
3. CREATE c:\configg.sys (5 bytes), containing just one line, "ni!".
4. Make a BACKUP of the original mirc.ini as backup0412.ini (or
5. create a NEW mirc.ini, which will load mircrem.ini
The new mirc.ini installed by dmsetup.exe will:
- overwrite your old settings, remove notify & channel lists, etc
- window fonts will be back to default Fixedsys
- your sign-on nick will be "a", userID and full name field "s".
- the dccserver will be enabled for chat, send, and fserve,
- this will allow outsiders to access your hard drive
- fserve warning will be disabled, root dir will be c:\mirc\
- cause you to send the dmsetup.exe file to other people
- cause you to quit IRC if sent a /msg with the word "goawaysilly"
- quit message will be "'tis to I who seem so sad"
All replaced INI files should be restored from backups or the
whole chat client should be reinstalled.