In response to the Mac OS X Flashback malware incident, we have created a free tool that automates the detection and removal of the trojan.
For more information on the malware, see related Labs Weblog posts:
• Flashback Removal Tool
• Mac Flashback Infections
• Mac Flashback Exploiting Unpatched Java Vulnerability
- FlashbackRemoval.zip (version 1.1.0, 40KB)
- Download the tool to the Mac machine you want to scan.
- Double-click the zip package to unzip it in the current folder.
- Double-click the FlashBack Removal app to run the tool.
- Follow the instructions to check your system and clean any infections.
The tool creates a log file (RemoveFlashback.log) on current user's Desktop. If any infections are found, they are quarantined into an encrypted ZIP file (flashback_quarantine.zip) to the current user's Home folder. The ZIP is encrypted with the password "infected".
For certain cases, a legacy removal tool may be necessary. Legacy tools are stored on our FTP server.
Note: these tools are no longer supported or maintained; they are provided 'as is'.