Mac Protection Technology Preview
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Before Installation
- Subscription and registration
- General use
- Automatic updates
- Does F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview work with other antivirus or firewall products installed on my computer?
No, you should uninstall all existing third-party firewalls and antivirus products.
- Which operating systems does F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview support?
F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview supports Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7 and 10.8 on Intel platforms.
- How can I check which version of the Mac operating system my computer is running?
Just click the Apple logo on the top left corner and select About this Mac. The OS revision is the first status line.
- Does F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview work in Mac OS running in 64-bit mode?
No, but don't worry - by default OS X boots in 32-bit mode. In order to get OS X into native 64-bit mode you need to do special tricks during the boot (e.g. holding down the numbers 6 and 4 on the keyboard while booting).
If you have not done that, you are good to go. Mac Protection installer does not check the running kernel if it is running in 32-bit mode or not and will not function in 64-bit mode kernel.
- How do I remove conflicting security programs?
Locate and follow the uninstall instructions provided by the software vendor. For example, many vendors have an uninstall application in their installation disk image (.dmg) or alongside their main application in the Applications folder.
Deleting an anti-virus applications manually using Finder may leave components on your system that may cause serious problems in the future.
- What do I need to install F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview?
The following are required for installation:
- A downloaded version of the product
- A valid product subscription key
- An Internet connection
- How do I install F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview?
When you register as beta tester of the product, you receive an e-mail message, which contains the download and installation instructions, and your unique product subscription key.
To install the product:
- Follow the instructions in the e-mail message and download the software package to your computer.
- After installation, the F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview user interface displays the status Your computer is not protected.
- Click Manage Subscription and enter your subscription key (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx). Click Set.
- How do I know that F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview is properly installed and running?
The product status icon is green and the status message displays Your computer is protected.
- How do I uninstall F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview?
Using Finder, locate the Applications folder, and then the F-Secure folder. In that folder, double-click Uninstall F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview. The uninstallation program asks for your password and removes the product.
In case the uninstallation script does not work, you can manually uninstall the program by opening a Terminal.app and issuing a command 'sudo /usr/local/f-secure/uninstall_Macprotection'.
- I reformatted my hard drive. Do I need to register F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview again?
No, you do not need to register your product again. If you still have your product subscription key (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx), you can reinstall the product and use the same key.
- I have already installed the product and registered the subscription. How can I transfer the subscription to another computer?
If your subscription allows only one installation, you can transfer the subscription to another computer. To do this, install the F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview using the same subscription key. The subscription is then transferred to the new computer, and the old installation stops working.
- Can F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview find Windows malware?
Detection capability is limited to Mac malware.
- I am experiencing technical difficulties with F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview. How should I proceed?
Follow the instructions given at F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview page.
- Should I manually scan my hard disks daily?
No, this is not necessary. Virus and spyware scanning includes real-time scanning, which means that your computer is scanned for viruses in real time. Our recommendation is to perform a manual scan every 1-2 weeks.
- I have received an e-mail message about a virus. The message says that the virus is dangerous. What should I do?
Most likely, you have received a chain letter that spreads information about a non-existent virus, or a hoax. More information about viruses and hoaxes can be found at F-Secure Security Center.
- I suspect that a file that was reported as malware is not actually malware. What can I do?
Please report the file as a false positive at this site.
- Is F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview really updated automatically?
Yes. The product is updated automatically in the background every time you connect to the Internet. This way, you always receive the latest updates to your computer when you need them. If your computer is offline when an automatic update is due, the updates are downloaded automatically the next time you connect to the Internet.
- How do I know that I have the latest updates?
F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview displays the latest successful update check time on the Statistics page. If it has been more than a few days since the last successful update check, the updates are out of date.
- How can I check that my computer is protected and that automatic updates are working?
F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview displays a green status icon on the main page to display its protection status. If the indicator is either yellow or red, you can see the reason for these statuses on the top line of the main user interface.
- Why does F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview have a different feature set than F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview for Windows?
F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview is specifically designed for Mac computers. The threat landscape on Mac environments is quite different from PCs. The features that are included in the product allow smoother operation and significantly less resource consumption.
Also, since Mac already contains some of the extra functionality of the PC product, like parental control, they are not needed in F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview.
- How can I provide technical information to F-Secure for troubleshooting purposes?
If you're experiencing problems with F-Secure Mac Protection Technology Preview you should contact beta piloting team as instructed at Mac Protection Technology Preview page. Many times our development team require logs and other technical details of your system in order to help.
You can use F-Secure Support tool to gather this information automatically. The tool creates a collection of log files which are saved as an archive file called fsdiag.tar.gz. This file contains information about your F-Secure product, operating system logs and system settings.
To create and send a fsdiag file:
Log in as admin user, open Finder, select "Applications", go to "F-Secure" folder, click "Support tool". In the Terminal window that opens, click enter. Type password if asked.
The tool starts gathering the information. After finished, the output file appears on your desktop. Attach the fsdiag.tar.gz file to your support request.
Non-released version of our product or solution that is still in an active development phase.
An early, non-released version or prototype of our product with reasonable quality. It may or may not be commercialized into a product or service.